I know what you are thinking, how does sweet potato and peanut butter even remotely sound good together? I know it sounds like a weird combination but it works, I promise. Don't knock it until you try it! Especially if you like peanut butter, this is a must try. The creaminess & nutty flavor from the peanuts and the hint of sweetness from the sweet potato pairs perfectly together.
I typically make this when I am in the mood to grab a glass of wine, stay home for the weekend and watch a movie or binge a new Netflix series. This is also great for the colder months of the year when our bodies are craving those warm soups and stews that are hearty and comforting.
Ingredients you will need:
2 cups diced yellow onion
1 jalapeño, cored & finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2-inch knob of ginger, peeled & minced
2 tsp cumin
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 large sweet potato, peeled & cubed
1/2 cup unsweetened creamy peanut butter
1 red pepper, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
5 large stalks of kale
1. Place onion, garlic & jalapeño in a large pot over medium-high heat (add a few tbsp of water so the onions don't burn). Sauté for about 7 minutes.
2. Add the ginger, peanut butter, cumin, tomato paste & 1 cup of the vegetable broth to the pot a mix everything together.
3. Add the chopped bell pepper, sweet potato & the additional 3 cups of vegetable broth to the pot & stir until well combined.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover & cook for 15 minutes.
5. Add de-stemmed kale to the pot, stir, then cover again & cook for another 15 minutes.
6. At this point, the sweet potato will be tender - using the back of the spoon, mash some of the sweet potato to help thicken the broth.
7. Serve over brown rice or quinoa. I would recommend garnishing it with fresh cilantro, lime & some peanuts.
Recipe inspired by Maddie Lymburner
Would you try this recipe or is it too far out of your comfort zone? Let me know in the comment box below.
Health Benefits from the ingredients in the Stew:
Bell Pepper boosts immunity, reduces inflammation, supports skin & hair health, protects eye health
Cilantro promotes detoxification, helps reverse candida, boosts immunity, reduces inflammation, supports bones health
Garlic boosts immunity, reduces blood pressure, promotes detoxification & heart health
Ginger treats nausea & motion sickness, aids digestion, boosts immunity, promotes cell growth
Kale aids digestion, reduces inflammation, boosts immunity, lowers cholesterol, promotes heart health
Onion boosts immunity, promotes heart health, reduces risk of cancer
Peanuts promote heart health, support neurological health, reduce inflammation
Sweet Potato aids digestion, supports skin health, reduces inflammation