This soup is savory, hearty, nutritious & delicious - all the goods. This is meal to make on a weeknight in the fall or winter when you are wanting something comforting to warm you from the inside out.
You would never know by the taste, but this has no cream in it. The creaminess comes from the blended cauliflower. The coconut milk, pine nuts & toasted baguette are the best toppings to make the soup perfection!
The recipe below makes about 6 servings, so you will be able to store the rest in your fridge to re-heat throughout the week. This gives the flavors time to marinate with each other, intensifying the flavor, making the leftovers even tastier!
Ingredients you will need:
2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
2 medium leeks, white & light green parts, sliced (2 cups)
2 celery stalks, diced
16 oz. mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
4 cups vegetable broth
1 pound cauliflower, broken into florets (5 cups)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt & pepper, to taste
coconut milk, drizzled
whole wheat baguette, toasted
pine nuts, toasted
1. In a large pot, place the coconut oil & let melt over medium to high heat. Once melted, add the celery, leeks & a pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Place mushrooms, in the pot and cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the coconut aminos or soy sauce, garlic & thyme, stir. Then add broth & cauliflower, stir together.
4. Place on high heat, then let simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 25 minutes, add the mustard & balsamic vinegar & stir together.
5. Place the mixture into a blender or use a hand blender & blend until smooth consistency.
6. Add salt & pepper to taste & serve. Top with desired toppings.
What is your favorite soup to enjoy in the colder months of the year? Let me know in the comment box below.
Health Benefits from Ingredients in the Mushroom Soup:
Cauliflower boosts immunity, aids digestion, reduces inflammation & risk of cancer
Celery supports hydration & bone health, boosts immunity, alkalizes the body, aids digestion
Garlic boosts immunity, reduces blood pressure, promotes detoxification & heart health
Leeks supports heart & immune system health, vital for the health of nervous system, improves vision, helps lower blood pressure, improves digestion, reduces the risk of cancer
Mushrooms boosts immunity, helps reduce risk of stroke, regulates blood pressure, promotes heart health